Thursday, May 17, 2007

Old Tampa Heights Blue Ribbon to become Family Dollar

Thanks to Torgo, for submitting this in a comment (oh, and for anyone else curious the link to submit news is the very first link under Links in the left-hand column!):

Thursday, May 17, 2007
Urban Improvement?
Well, I was hoping for better news, but I finally found out what's replacing the Blue Ribbon Supermarket in our adjacent southern neighborhood, Tampa Heights, at the sw corner of Columbus and Tampa St. I'm told through reliable resources that it's going to be a Family Dollar.

I guess the good news is it's no worse than what it is now (i.e., unkept vacant building).

I can't say I'm stoked about it, but at least it won't be an empty building and lot. I know Publix or Sweetbay were out, but maybe I was holding out for a indie grocer or at least a farmer's market or something.

blueribbon 009

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I drive by it every day and day dream about what type of good businesses could thrive there; but alas ...

    I think Family Dollar is going to stagnate that great four corner intersection for a long time to come. But I certainly hope not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat at Gold Ring a fair amount. They're good people. I tried to eat at the Seafood Place once, but it wasn't meant to be. I had that Chinese food once, and I'm not anxious to go back.

    A better anchor store would have meant so much more, but I suppose it's still better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's an update from tbo:

    http://centraltampa2.tbo.com/content/2007/jun/06/st-family-dollar-moving-into-grocers-space/?news

    ReplyDelete