Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Central Tampa Trib - Life Not Updated Daily

In theory the neighborhood sections of the Tribune website are a great idea. Localized news coverage. Crime Tracker stats. Smaller stories that might not get a lot of play in an A or B section of the paper.

In execution though, it's been lousy.

Some time ago, the South and Central Tampa sections were going to be combined into one South Tampa Section which was to cover Davis and Harbor Islands, South Tampa, Hyde Park, Downtown, Riverside Heights,West Tampa, Seminole and Tampa Heights and basically everything around and between those areas. It was a horrible idea. Even more horrible to call it just South Tampa. Explain to me how Lowry Park is South Tampa?

Anyway, during this period it was near impossible to find anything online if it was from the Central Tampa area.

Looks like the bad old times are back again. The Trib has been retooling these pages and now half the links don't work, Crime Tracker appears to be totally gone and overall it's as useless as boobies on a bull.

This went on for a week and a half before I emailed Mother Trib. A week later I got an email saying they knew and they're working on it. A week after that it's still FUBAR.

Wouldn't you think they'd fix all this stuff and work all the kinks out - or at least a bulk of them BEFORE going live?

In other news, I posted pictures of the fence on Columbus/Tampa in my previous post. Anyone know anything here?

3 comments:

  1. Goo dobservation on the Trib website. They are horrible over there.

    Do you have an exact address for that location with a fence at Columbus Ave.? (I suppose it's actually Tampa St.)

    If so, I'll do a formal online complaint to the city and see if we can get some action!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried looking the site up online and could not find a physical address. Not can I see a street number.

    I would assume it's 2600 N. Tampa, due to where it is - but that might be reaching.

    I did file a complaint, citing the location across from Gold Ring and the corner lot. You can't miss that new big black fence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to rent this property from the owner, Isreal Aponte. I could never get a straight answer. He said his son wanted to open a used car lot there. Ain't gonna happen. The zoning won't allow it and hopefully resident won't tolerate it. I've since heard there's something going on with the grocery store to the west; maybe expansion.

    I have a double decker bus and wanted to set up a coffee shoppe/ice cream parlor there. I'd use the bus for the 7:30-9 am rush hour (getem in and out), then move into the building for the rest of the day. I feel I can kick Starbucks's ass with my concept (too detailed to go into here, but arts and entertainment would be involved as well as FREE hiwi; not just free for T-Mobile as Starbucks does).

    I need the Tampa St and Columbus traffic to succeed. Anyone know of a similar setup that might work for me?

    ReplyDelete